Coronavirus high in Bedford

Compared to other areas in the South, coronavirus infection rates have remained high in Bedford.

So, over the past few weeks, we’ve been working with the Borough Council to support them with getting stay at home messages out to people living in the town.

To avoid the risk of a local lockdown, slow the spread of the virus and save lives, people locally are being urged to stay at home as much as possible. If you do need to go out, keep two metres apart, wear a face covering (particularly on public transport and when in shops), and regularly wash your hands.

Whilst things change quickly you can get more information about what Bedford Borough Council are doing to help tackle coronavirus a

Update on our pet policy

We’ve updated our Pet and Assistance Animal Policy to ensure that:

  • We’re fair and consistent when deciding on who can keep a pet in their home
  • We give you clear guidance on animal ownership, how to apply for permission and why permission may be revoked
  • We give information on what animals can and can’t be kept as pets
  • We give you information about responsible animal ownership
  • We have a fair approach to balancing the benefits of a resident having a pet, with the potential that an animal might have a negative impact on neighbours.

If you want to keep a pet, you’ll need to ask our permission first by filling in an Animal Request Form. You can keep a maximum of three small caged rodents and birds without our permission. Livestock, poisonous or venomous creatures, dangerous dogs or wild animals are prohibited in bpha properties.

Keeping assistance animals

We know that some of our residents rely on a trained assistance animal to help them with their day to day activities. These animals help people with sight and hearing difficulties, epilepsy, diabetes, physical mobility problems and more – giving a person more independence and confidence.

We’ve added a new section to both our policy and procedure on assistance animals. To have an assistance animal live with you, you’ll need to fill in an Assistance Animal Form with a section for your GP to complete as well. We’ll need medical evidence to confirm that you, or a member of your household, has ‘a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on the ability to carry out normal day to day activities’ (as stated in the Equality Act 2010). The medical evidence will also need to confirm that an assistance animal will alleviate your disability.

To view our Pet and Assistance Animal Policy please click here.