Paying rent and getting support to do so

If it is proving challenging to afford housing costs amid the disruption caused by the Covid-19 pandemic please consider the financial support and money advice that is available.

Free benefit and debt advice is available from the bpha money advice team and other sources like the Citizens Advice Bureau and National Debtline (0808 808 4000).

The government has special schemes in place to help replace loss of income. In addition there are various benefits available to help with specific needs. The benefit help differs depending on age and the kind of accommodation you live in. Benefit calculators like those on offer on the government website can help you find out more about your benefit entitlement.

The table below presents some of the help on offer for new claims. Information about how to claim the benefits can be found on the government website.

If you are already claiming benefit help particularly an older benefit not listed in the table below please seek free tailored advice about your benefit entitlement from the bpha money advice team or the Citizens Advice Bureau. 03444 111 444

* You can still claim housing benefit to help with housing costs if:

  • your accommodation has special features or adaptations to enable care to be provided to you, or
  • you are in temporary accommodation, or
  • you get an older benefit like Jobseekers Allowance (“JSA”), Income Support or Employment and Support Allowance (“ESA”) AND a disability benefit (Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment) AND no-one claims Carers Allowance benefit for looking after you AND no other adults live with you.

If you would like free, independent and confidential guidance about benefit or debt matters please contact the bpha money advice team via the bpha website or by calling bpha customer services on 0330 100 0272.