Our new approach to anti-social behaviour

It’s important to us that our residents live together in communities where there is respect and tolerance. Anyone who has signed a bpha tenancy or lease is responsible for their own behaviour and the behaviour of anyone living in or visiting their home. We want our residents, and those within their home, to be thoughtful and aware of their neighbours and the community they live in.

A new approach

Earlier this year, working with residents and bpha staff, we carried out an in-depth review of how we deal with anti-social behaviour (ASB). We’ve found that we receive a lot of contact from residents wanting to report behaviours they consider to be anti-social. But often many of these reports do not relate to ASB and are more about a different way of living, which we cannot control. In our new approach we call these things ‘unwelcome behaviours’.

Following the review, we have changed the way we manage ASB. Our new approach empowers you to resolve minor disputes yourself while ensuring we support and signpost you to the relevant agencies that can help, such as environmental health for noise nuisance. We will continue to work in partnership with agencies to resolve issues and support you when required.

What to do

In serious situations, where you feel threatened or unsafe in your home, you should always contact the police immediately.

If you’re experiencing neighbour nuisance such as loud music or a barking dog you should try speaking to your neighbour first. It’s likely that they aren’t aware that their behaviour is affecting you.

We have created an ASB guide that tells you about the different types of behaviour and what to do about them. The full guide is available on our website by visiting: www.bpha.org.uk/anti-social-behaviour. Here is a summary of the guide showing some of the behaviours, how we categorise them and advice on what to do about them.

Criminal behaviour

You should report criminal behaviour to the police immediately by dialling 999, you must also let them know if you’re concerned about your own safety or that of another. You don’t have to give your name when you report an incident to the police. Some examples of criminal activity include:

gun or knife crime


drug use or drug dealing

threats verbal abuse or harassment

domestic abuse

hate crime

sexual offences

dangerous dogs

vehicle crime

speeding or dangerous driving

Unwelcome behaviour

In most cases, we are unable to do anything about unwelcome behaviour such as those listed below. Our Good Neighbour Guide provides helpful information on how to speak to your neighbour about unwelcome behaviour. If you’re worried about someone’s safety, contact the police on 101 or, if you feel the threat is immediate, dial 999.

rowdy or drunken behaviour

loud music or parties

dogs barking

neighbours shouting or arguing

inconsiderate parking

children playing

It’s important to remember that we all have different daily routines and, while we know that they’re not always compatible, we need to be mindful of this and be considerate of our neighbours. Visit the anti social behaviour section of our website to read our ‘How to Minimise Disturbance’ booklet to find out more.