“I’ve finally got a coffee machine”

Freedom, space and a good cup of coffee. Rosalyn Hart tells us why she loves having her own place.

“I sat on the floor of my living room, surrounded by boxes and sipping champagne. It didn’t matter that I didn’t have any furniture. I’d just become a homeowner for the first time. Looking around, as my friend celebrated with me, I couldn’t quite believe that the place was all mine.”

After 15 years of hoping, Rosalyn Hart took the plunge and bought her first home through bpha’s shared ownership scheme. Rosalyn, who works at a private school in Cambridge and is also a musician, bought a newly-built two-bedroom house in Northstowe.

“As soon as I got the keys, I moved in. I had no furniture and slept on an airbed for the first week. My last place was a furnished rental and I sold a lot of my things five years ago because I was planning to emigrate,” says Rosalyn. “When my new bed arrived, the airbed became my sofa – until that was delivered two weeks later.”

Having her own place

Before the move, Rosalyn shared a house with four other people. After three years, she decided that she wanted to live on her own. And in April 2018, she made the decision to buy through shared ownership.

“I enjoyed living where I was but I wanted my own place. I’d had enough of sharing with people,” she says. “I looked online and read about shared ownership. It made perfect sense to me so I started to look for available properties. bpha’s new build homes kept coming up because I wanted a house, not an apartment.”

Rosalyn bought a 40% stake in her home, which means she pays a mortgage on that share and rent on the remaining 60%. “I’m paying around the same as I did in the rental property,” she says. “But I’ve got the place to myself and I’m on the property ladder. It’s an investment of the money that I’ve worked hard to save for over the years.”

“I looked online and read about shared ownership. It made perfect sense to me so I started to look for available properties.”

The coffee machine

And the dream has been a long time coming. “About 15 years ago I promised myself that when I buy my own place, I’ll also buy a coffee machine. I cut out pictures of coffee machines and stuck them into a scrapbook,” she laughs. “So the first thing I did, when the purchase completed last October, was buy a coffee machine. Now, I make myself a coffee every morning and I feel so happy that I’m here!”

Rosalyn says her last place was ‘in the middle of nowhere’, in a barn conversion surrounded by fields. “I thought I might miss the countryside, but on my first night here there was a hare sitting under the street lamp opposite my house, waiting for me. And there’s a family of partridges that visit too – so I’m not that far from the countryside,” she adds.

Now Rosalyn has been living in her new home for almost two months, what are the best bits? “There are so many good things. My car has a covered driveway next to the house. Before, it was parked in a muddy field, miles away. I’ve got lots of storage too – I used to keep everything in my bedroom. I’ve got a bath, which I didn’t have before. The grocery store is close by. I can do whatever I want and I don’t have to clean up after boys!

“And, I’ve finally got my coffee machine. It sits pride of place in my kitchen – a reminder that I’ve got my own home, and I feel proud of that.”


To find out more about shared ownership go to www.bphaoptions.org.uk

“I’ve got the place to myself and I’m on the property ladder. It’s an investment of the money that I’ve worked hard to save over the years.”